Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Review of "Antarmanko Yatra"

Among some of the books from Nepali literature which I have read, some of the books worth remembering are Pagal Basti (Saru Bhaktta), Palpasa cafe (Narayan Wagle), Gauri (Madhav Ghimire) and Ghanachhakar (sanjeev Upreti). And another book is going to be added in this list that is "Antarmanko Yatra" by Jagadish Ghimire.

I made one record in reading this book. It took around ten days for me to finish the book. But I finished it just in three sittings in different settings. The first sitting was on a small hill behind my home in pokhara, the second sittting was in the bank of phewa lake and the third sitting was in my own study room.

After I finished reading this book, one question striked in my mind, "Is this a novel, autobiography, monologue, travelouge or daily journal of writer ?" Though writer has called it a Aatmalap, it's a mixture of all so i calle it a mixologue (my own word).

It's a story of a writer, how he became writer and what were the challenges faced by him when he was aspiring to become a writer. The writer has raised one question "In Nepal can one make his living just be becoming a writer ?". Jagadish ghimire has proved that during his time it was not possible but I think it is possible in todays context.

It is not the story of a writer only, it is the story of a successful development expert who has worked in highly responsible posts in international non governmental organisations. The lessons of organistion management that writer has shared is very useful for the readers. I completely agree that "In any organsition human are the core element in its success or failure" because I have also realised this during my two years of professional experience.

The works done by Tamakoshi Sewa Samiti is vey appreciative. It has forced me to plan to travel to Ramechhap. Once while I was studying Bachelors, we guys from college had planned to travel to Ramechhap but at that time it was cancelled due to some reasons. After reading the success stories of Tamakoshi Sewa Samiti, I'm desperate to visit that place and i think i will do it soon.

I was laughing alone in my room when i was rading in the book that "When the writer was DG of CRS company, Radio Nepal didn't played the advertisement of condom and it was played latter on only after King Birendra gave order to play that".......it was too funny..........

The book has helped me in hating the dirty political game of Nepal, which I have always hated the most. The story of Jogi shared by the writer in this book is very much pertinent to the political leaders and maoists of today.

The only flaw I found in this book is that while reading the book, somewhere I felt like the writer is trying to prove himself innocent in some of the accusations of which he was charged during his life. It seems like the write is advocating in favor of himself. So one question arised in my mind "was that necessary ?"............ Otherwise the book is flawless.

Though there are many, I just like to pointout three quotes from this book which impressed me very much.
  • Live every momment of your life as if it is the last moment of your life.
  • Neither friendship nor rivalry is good with bad people.
  • It is better to be envied than pitied.


After finishing the book, I was thinking "Where would Nepal have reached today if every citizens of Nepal have thought like that of Jagadish Ghimire, If every Nepali have loved Nepal like Jagadish Ghimire and every NGO have worked like Tamakoshi Sewa samiti ? "

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah, antarmako yatra, heard it's goof, i already bought it, have to read it :P to write a comment abt it

Anonymous said...

This book now I am reading is really of worth,Reading this book left me evacuated.Constantly It made me think about life and its values and norms and feel the misry too.
This is of classic type and I think that I am reading a complete history of Nepal after rana regime in some way or other.
This book is a must for those who loves Nepal,who is a true Nepali and the one who wants to see Nepal a self dependent and prosperous country in the whole earth.
In my view I give this book 4.5 out of 5 and this will be kept in my library of best books for coming years and years.
A must to be read book.

And the critical health of writer Jagadeesh Ghimire is sad and breathtaking truth.I was shocked at first but as himself writes death and life are the vice versa ...its too saddy.

May the rest of time coming be less painful for him and I pray to the good to give him some more time.

At last I want to see that if Nepal have gotten 10 or 15 human like him then definitely it is for sure that Nepal would have been among one of the successful country within the universe.

Unknown said...

WOW !!! ur summary is great !!! I fully agree with ur view regarding the book. I too find the book very intersting and found it worth reading. It really widens our outlook towards life.

Anonymous said...

That is very interesting, You're an excessively skilled blogger. I've
joined your feed and stay up for in the hunt for extra of your wonderful post.
Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

my blog: replica panerai